My last post discussed the terribleness of this world; the shit that us activists see/read/hear day in and day out. Because of this, it’s INCREDIBLY important to practice self-care. I’m not going to tell you what you should/shouldn’t do for self-care (that’s YOUR bizness), but I’ll give a brief run down of what I do, and why it’s necessary for me.
1. Ask for help
- If I didn’t ask for help from others, I would be fucked. Three years ago, when I started GF, it was just me. It was a TON of work. I spent most of my time on the computer. I worried about the page if I left it for 20 minutes (obvi, I have some anxiety). It was NECESSARY for me to ask my friends and other individuals to help me. If your page is large (50 grand large, like GF), you simply MUST have people helping you post, moderate comments, etc!
2. Take a goddamn break
- I used to not take breaks. Never. Ever. I would be reading articles to potentially post on GF about rape, incest, molestation, etc, and even though I would sometimes feel triggered, I still didn’t take breaks. I don’t think people on GF always understand that us mods actually have to read everything before we post it, (and you should be reading the articles you post, too, before posting!) so… we are CONSTANTLY triggered. There ain’t enough appreciation for this. The only way to ASSURE your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual safety is for YOU to be in charge of it. YOU call the shots. Please take breaks when you need to–especially when feeling triggered. If it helps you feel better about it, maybe even let your page know that you’re taking a self-care break. People should understand. If they don’t, you don’t want their “Likes” anyways!
3. Talk it (or write it) out
- It helps me to talk shit out with my besties (whether they are part of GF or not). This makes me feel supported, loved, and carefree (as carefree as a bitch with Generalized Anxiety Disorder can be). Maybe even try talking into a tape recorder (do people still use those?) If talking isn’t really your thing, try writing (or typing) about it. Maybe look in the mirror, and pretend you’re confronting whatever it is that is pissing you off, and give it the best side-eye you can muster. Do whatever feels best to you.
4. Watch (too many) “Golden Girls” episodes
- This should probably be number one on this list, but whatevs. You KNOW Dorothy Zbornak is allergic to bullshit (and you can be, too!)
5. Use coconut oil
- When all else fails, smother your body in coconut oil, and spritz some rose water on top. You’ll smell (and taste) delicious. Repeat as needed.